Joomla 2.5 has just arrived including some good stuff like automatic update notifications (for both, Joomla and extensions) and a natural language search engine (part of Joomla core). It also includes (for the first time) multi-database support (for example, you can now run it on SQL Server Express).
In this blog entry, we would like to share our new Joomla 1.5/1.6/2.5 template, ready for your new websites.
It won’t give you everything (i.e. look & feel, graphics, modules…). What it will give you though, is a very solid future-proof foundation for all your Joomla work.
This template was created using HTML5 Boilerplate (read more about it here http://html5boilerplate.com/). HTML5 Boilerplate contains plenty of good features, most useful:
- cross-browser compatibility
- it is HTML5 ready
- best practice website configuration
- basic responsive design
- IE specific css classes
- mobile ready
Just to be clear, this is only the starting point and by no means is a production ready template. You need to add to it, quite a lot actually still, it gives you a lot of good work to start with. On top of what is listed above, it will save you a couple of hours on every new project.
To try it out:
- Download and install Joomla 2.5
- Download the above template and copy it to the templates directory under your Joomla 2.5 installation
- Go to the administration page, discover and install this template using the (Extension Manager – Discover)
- Open Template Manager and select Cambridge Software HTML5 Boilerplate